This page has moved to a new address.

How To: Retro Placemat Bag

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: How To: Retro Placemat Bag

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Thursday 20 September 2012

How To: Retro Placemat Bag

I come across so many beautiful vintage linens in my op-shopping (thrifting) adventures, but I rarely seem to use them for their original purpose. These linen placemats with their geometric retro design, I'm particularly taken by. I've had them for years, waiting for the perfect project, but could never bare to cut into them.
Whilst tidying up my sewing space I uncovered a set of vintage bamboo bag handles...then the perfect project came to mind.
This bag only took me a few minutes to construct. With no cutting and only three seams required, one can be whipped up at short notice to match any outfit.
Read on to see how to make this simple placemat bag...


You will need:
2 x cotton or linen place mats (hemmed)
1 x set of cane/bamboo bag handles with screw in rod
Sewing machine and general sewing supplies

How to:
1. Gather your supplies. Similar handles are available at craft supply stores if you don't have vintage ones available.
2. Face placemats with right sides together and sew along dotted line. Make sure you double stitch the ends of seams.
3. On the top of the bag, iron over a hem of about 1cm (1/2") then stitch top form a tube (leave ends open).
4. Turn inside out, and feed rod of handle through the tube.

All done! Quite a professional finish for so little work. Now I just need an occasion to use it, and when I want my placemats back, all it will take is a little seam un-picking and a really good iron.
 Do you have any old placemats that could do with a transformation?

Labels: , , , , ,